Couple and marriage counselling is helpful if you’re struggling with frequent conflict, distance, betrayal, separation, or possible divorce. It can also help if you’ve lost desire, emotional intimacy, or are experiencing sexual problems. We will work with both you and your partner using a variety of therapeutic techniques to help improve your communication, clarify your commitment, and increase your feelings of love and intimacy.
A Safe Space Where You’re Both Heard
Your couples counsellor is not there to take sides. Instead, he or she is there to ensure you both feel heard, understood, and respected. By encouraging each of you to express yourselves fully, you’ll have the chance to share feelings, thoughts, and hopes that you might not feel safe or able to express in your relationship. For many, this is all that’s needed for positive change to start unfolding.
- Feel safe and supported in sharing your full experience
- Learn new ways to communicate your needs
- Discover more about each others hopes and values
Identify and Remove Communication Barriers
By the time you want couples counselling, you’re probably at a point where you feel like you’ve “tried everything” to get your message across. You may have even both “shut down” and stopped trying to communicate to avoid stressful and painful arguments. Hidden communication barriers can be the at the root of these issues. Our couples therapists are skilled in identifying these barriers and helping you remove them.
- Learn effective ways to talk about and manage your differences
- Feel less anger, frustration, hopelessness, and distance
- Increase feelings of understanding and mutual support
Build and Maintain Trust & Intimacy
When there is frequent conflict and hurt, you can begin to feel a loss of trust in your partner. What can follow is a loss of intimacy and desire both emotionally and physically. After a while, it may seem like you’re both just living separate lives instead of feeling attracted and excited to be together. Using a range of techniques, our couples counsellors will help you rebuild the trust and intimacy that you felt when you first met.
- Find ways to heal from past betrayal and hurt
- Learn new skills to maintain your closeness over time
- Rekindle the feelings of connection that you once shared